Friday, January 23, 2015

Corn Fritters or "Hush Puppies"



Corn Fritters or "Hush Puppies"



I found one ear of corn leftover and wanted to make something a bit different then grilling or boiling it.  I knew I wanted to make a side dish for two and needed to stretch the quantity by adding ingredients.  
I decided on HUSH PUPPIES or as they are known here in the north - CORN FRITTERS.  Having been schooled in the South, I remember well these delicious treats server in most restaurants.  The savory type I will make is used as a side dish and usually found served with fried catfish.  I don’t have self-rising cornmeal or flour, so I am experimenting with using baking powder.


    1/2 cup cornmeal
    ½ cup all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    2 Tbsp sugar
    1 tbsp minced onion
    1/4 cup milk
    1 egg (beaten)
    2 tbsps. butter melted
    Salt –small amount
   
                      Whisk the dry ingredients together and then add the wet. 












 Form a thick batter: 


 Form into balls about one inch diameter.  In hot vegetable/corn oil (about 2 inches deep) fry them turning a few times to get the whole ball
  
 Fried evenly browned.  (3-4 mins).   
    Drain on paper towels and eat warm.

TIPS:
·        Serve with honey or powdered sugar as a sweet treat
·        Scallion is best to use but I did not have any and used diced onion



       As always be your own Creative Dump Cook and change this recipe to what YOU have on hand!







No comments:

Post a Comment