Tuesday, January 31, 2012



ITALIAN WEDDING SOUP

I had a late day in the office with my book-keeper and had little time to prepare dinner nor the energy to try.  Since I made a meatloaf dinner (featured on my previous blog) last evening and I have 2/3rd of the loaf leftover, I thought I definitely would use that. Thus: Italian Wedding Soup!
This soup is very popular in Pennsylvania and I have had many a bowl.  About a year ago I was making a version of the soup and mid-cooking found that I had no spinach, just about a cardinal sin in this household (the typical Green used).  I decided to try Arugula and what a brilliant idea that was.
This soups origins are Italian – American who’s name "wedding soup" is a mistranslation of the Italian language minestra maritata, which means meats and greens go together. The basic ingredients being broth, meat and greens (spinach, kale, endive use your imagination).
Arugula: You may have heard other names for this very popular green (well known In the last 10 years in the USA, always  has been in Europe) as : rugola, rucola, roquette, garden rocket, Mediterranean rocket or roka. It has a marvelous peppery- mustardy taste and brings a nice bite to salads and most anything you add it to.
As you have Arugula and broth added, be careful how much pepper or salt you add.
Now this is so easy, really easy and very satisfying. So make a soup from the leftover meat loaf or from store bought meatballs!
½ tablespoon olive oil
½ cup minced onion
1 stalk celery minced (I had one so just tossed it in)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
10 cups chicken broth (boxed, from cubes or homemade)
1 cup orzo
4 cups arugula cut lightly (Roka)
1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese grated
2  (1) inch slices of meatloaf cut in 8ths each (left over) or 16 small meatballs (I love the premade Costco brand)



Saute onion, celery and garlic in olive oil. 
Add broth, arugula, orzo and simmer lightly for 30 minutes.
Add meat loaf carefully as it will breakdown.  Keep on low heat until heated thru.
Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Some people beat an egg and drizzle it in as well.


As always be your own Creative Dump Cook and change this recipe to what YOU have on hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment