Sunday, May 26, 2013

SPRING SALAD WITH LOBSTER TAIL AND AVOCADO


SPRING SALAD WITH LOBSTER TAIL AND AVOCADO
 

 

This is for TWO.

Lobster was at an amazing price this weekend due to the Memorial Day holiday, so we could not pass up buying few.  I have the super market steam them for me to make sure I don’t over or under cook them.  Go to the counter first thing as you walk in and order them steamed and then you will have 20 minutes until them are finished... bagged. .ready to go!   
I bought three; one each as a full meal and one to use separately, as in this recipe which just uses the tail for the two of us.

The rich taste of lobster, creamy avocado, crispy snap peas, peppery arugula earthy beets, crunch of flax seeds and spice of the onion, all add zip to a simple salad, making it the prefect dinner.

1 ½ cups arugula
1 ½ cups romaine lettuce chopped
½ avocado sliced
¼ cup chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup snaps peas cut in thirds
1 tablespoon flax seed
5 small canned beets sliced
¼ cup canned green beans (had leftover ones)
2 tablespoon minced onion
1/8 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Juice of ½ big lemon
Salt and lots of pepper
1 lobster tail shelled and cut length-wise down the middle.
I used a homemade balsamic ;Dijon mustard; a touch of agave syrup vinaigrette. (Your choice)
I make and leave my dressing in a used Dijon mustard jar  (getting all the little mustard bits leftover) for easy use.
Mix all but lemon, avocado and lobster together and then squeeze lemon on the salad and toss.  Shake dressing and put on salad  and toss well (enough to your liking but do not over dress).
 
 
Plate and place avocado slices and lobster tail piece on top.

 
 
 
 
 
Other than TIPS today, as salads make it easy to add or take out any item, I have two stories.

1:  ODE TO MY GALS!  I can’t eat lobster without thinking of my daughters and feeling a bit guilt!  They are living in Greece and lobster (Maine) is not on the menu!  Both of them LOVE lobster. I adore the claws most of all and usually  when we all eat lobster I am filled after eating just the claws.  But the rest of my lobster never went to waste but fueled a bidding war between my girls!  Those gals can eat lobster!

2: When in high school, so very many years ago, I spent 10 days at a home of a friend in Maine.  Each time we had lobster, as they were placed head first into the boiling water; little screams were omitted from the kitchen.  To this day I still do not know if the poor lobbies do scream or not or whether my friend’s dad played games with me.  That is why I have the store steam them for me!
As always be your own Creative Dump Cook and change this recipe to what YOU have on hand

1 comment:

  1. I love this post because it advocates letting the supermarket do the dirty work! The last time I cooked live lobsters with your girls it was on a bunsen burner in my old apartment and we should all be arrested for murder.

    ReplyDelete