Monday, November 17, 2014

SCALLIONS GROWN IN WATER



SCALLIONS GROWN IN WATER



My dear Chase- best friend of my eldest daughter and honorary member of our family, emailed me this idea.  She mentioned something about all DUMP COOKS need to know this…well I did NOT know this.  I was so excited as scallions are very expensive most of the year.  This is the trick to your never ending scallion reserve and the good thing IT GROWS ALL YEAR AROUND.

Scallions are super used fresh in topping salads and almost all dishes. They present a light mild onion flavor. 

I took Chase at her word and went and bought 3 bunches of scallions.

Trim the tops so they are nice and neat and all old tips clipped off.  Rinse all so you will be ready to cut the tops as needed.




Set the scallions into a jar and fill the jar with water until the white bulb and base of the scallions are submerged.   Leave some space around the scallions, and do not stuff the jar with them.


               If you have a sunny window sill to place them on, I am sure they will fare well.  But I don’t and I have them on a Counter top that opens to a basically sunny den and they are growing fabulously.

                Pour out the water in the jar every other day and replace it with fresh water. Cut away freshly regrown scallions as needed.  Trim even if not needed every two days.

Always leave a few inches of the green stalk above the bulb.!


I have been seeing if this works for about three weeks and it is such a cool tip.
THANKS CHASE

No comments:

Post a Comment