Tuesday, May 15, 2012

CHICKEN FINGERS WITH HONEY MUSTARD SAUCE


CHICKEN FINGERS AND HONEY MUSTARD

This is a recipe that is dedicated to my lovely daughter Kassandra.

 Now she should not get offended that it truly is a DUMP COOK recipe, as I made this up on the fly, but it did turn out well:

I had chicken breasts thawed from yesterday, as I was going to be out all day and thought it would be an easy thing to come home and make.  But yesterday I got bored and did a really easy “REFFRIGERATOR RUN” instead.  Meaning I did NOT cook and found whatever was around. (believe me it was not a real meal to blog about).
Well CHICKEN FINGERS came to mind and that made me think of Kassandra There were a few places we hit on the bad fast food visits when my girls were young and her favorite item at  TGIF was chicken fingers with their honey mustard sauce. (IE: the inspiration for this). So here is what I made:
I had no bread crumbs in my pantry but I found store bought  bread stuffing mix. So I got out my spice mill and ground the cubes to fine crumbs. This is what made them wonderful: Pre-seasoned crumbs! Easy!

2 chicken breasts cut each in 1/3rds
1 cup home made bread crumbs
3/4 cup egg beaters (or use 2-3 eggs beaten)
½ cup flour
Salt and pepper to taste
Corn or vegetable oil to fry
•The oil should be about one-two  inches deep in the skillet.
•Get the fat good and hot before adding the chicken: about 350 degrees F
Cut the two breasts into thirds (strips or fingers)
Meanwhile, dip the chicken piece by piece, in the flour (coating all sides) then into the egg and then coat with the crumbs.

•Using tongs, carefully lower chicken pieces one by one not crowding the pan.(Lay it in the oil, working away from yourself to avoid spatters).
•Fry in batches: be careful not to overcrowd the pan as the temperature of the oil will lower, causing more oil to be absorbed and result in soggy, greasy chicken.
•Remove the chicken pieces when they have  browned (about 4 minutes). Drain on paper towels and then  bake at 350 for another 10 minutes to make sure they were cooked thru.

Honey Mustard sauce for Chicken Fingers
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard  (I use this as I like spice but a brown mustard is the norm)
4 tablespoons honey
1/2/ tablespoon white vinegar (helps break the sweetness and make it a little more liquid)
TIPS
ADD    1/4 cup mayonnaise   (I did not use this but think it would make it creamier

No comments:

Post a Comment