Saturday, November 3, 2012

DINING OUT IN GREECE


DINING OUT IN GREECE



Meze
Although I cook with many ingredients, styles and cuisines, my true love is Greek food.  I thought I would just show some of wonderful simple dishes I love and dined on while in Greece.  Often meeting friends for a meal during my stay, my response to their question “what would you like to eat” was always: GREEK MEZE!

MEZETHES OR MORE COMMONLY KNOW AS MEZE:


House wine by the carafe
Is a dish, like an appetizer but actually originally served to compliment a drink like the local wine, ouzo or raki.
Always a bread basket is offered.
 
 
 
 
 The plates are shared by all at the table where conversation nibbling on these dishes and drink are enjoyed by all.  I often prefer these small dishes to ordering any main course.  Food is really made to be shared!

These dishes are a few of my favorites and most commonly and traditionally found dishes.  (The new wave cuisine of Greece is producing many new dishes such as a mushroom pita triangles etc.)
Greek salad with Feta


Greek Salad:  A true Greek salad in the summertime consists of beautiful juicy tomatoes, onions sliced, green peppers, and olives and of course a big slice of feta cheese and dressed in vinaigrette of olive oil and vinegar.

 
Taramosalata (Taramasalata)-  is a Carp Roe Spread or dip. 
Gavros dressed with oil and vinegar






Gavros on a mixed green salad
Gavros  : fresh filleted sardines






Marithes: Whole Fried Picarel or Whitebait Smelt.  I learned an interesting tip: never order Marithes as they will not be fresh: 1) at full moon as the fish dive too deep to be caught 2) or if the weather is bad as the fisherman will not go out in fear of their nets will be torn (the nets are the most expensive as they are sewn closely knit not to allow these tiny fish to escape) . Therefore, most likely what will be served will be frozen!


Tiropita: Phyllo stuffed with feta cheese Triangles

Spanakopita: Phyllo stuffed with spinach Triangles

Keftedakia: small rGreek meatballs, commonly spiced with mint.

Kolokithakia Keftedes:  Zucchini Fritters

Saganaki: fried kefalograviera cheese.  Anyone who knows me knows this is a favorite!! The cheese lover I am!

Fried Haloumi cheese.  Maybe even better than Saganaki!  I am not sure there is a specific Greek name for this dish.

Beautiful grilled marks on the cheese
 
Dolmathakia: stuffed Greek leaves with rice, lemon, dill and pine nuts

Melitzanosalata:  Eggplant salad. This is one of my favorite items.  I prefer the smoked variety without mayonnaise.






Horta: different types of "greens" cooked and dressed in a oil and lemon and vinegar dressing. 

 
 
Tzatziki : a yogurt cucumber dip

Tirokafteri:  a spicy cheese dip

Skordalia: Garlic potato spread blended with olive oil and vinegar. If ordered, best to make sure all at the table partake!

Kalamari : Lightly breaded crispy fried squid . Very common in the USA, but trust me you willnever taste Kalamari as good as it is in Greece anywhere else.




I could go on and on with so many choices, but I guess you will have to keep an eye out for my recipes and ideas in my future blogs!

TIPS:

Please try any or all of these dishes, as the true sense of Greek eating can be found in these simple and for the most part, very healthy, dishes.


As always be your own Creative Dump Cook and change this recipe to what YOU have on hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment