Friday, November 9, 2012

Greek Chicken With Mint Burgers


GREEK CHICKEN WITH MINT BURGERS
Served sliced with aspargus and Roca, pomegrante and tomatoe Salad


One evening while in Greece I had a “girls night out”.  I accompanied my two daughters to a spa treatment and then went to the trendy part of Athens, Kolonaki, for a light dinner at -OIKEIO, a favorite place or ours.

Any time spent with my daughters is fun and I always look forward to anything we do.  This evening’s outing was highlighted by one dish we ordered at dinner: A Chicken burger with mint. What a great combination and one I have not tried as of yet. It was light and fresh and without the normal cumin or oregano found in chicken burgers.

Mint is an herb that I just do not use enough of.  I actually grow it (spreads like a weed and comes back each year-hard to kill for the non-green thumb) and I dry it and put it up in my spice cabinet. (Use the dried mint!)

So here goes my try at a Chicken burger with mint!

1 pound ground chicken
¼ cup dried mint
½ onion diced very small
2 medium cloves of garlic minced
¼ cup bread crumbs (PANKO)
2 teaspoonS fresh lemon juice
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon salt

Mix all ingredients until well mixed but not over-mixed (makes for tough burgers)
Form patties of desired size. Grill, broil or pan fry in olive oil. 


Cook fully, as it is chicken but do not overcook. (will depend on heat and thickness of patties)

 
 
TIPS:

·        If you place the  patties in the frig for an hour they will hold their shape a bit better

·        Mint: I took my fresh grown mint and dried it and also froze it.  Dried Mint worked for this.

·        If you dust the outside of the patties with bread crumbs they will not stick as much and it will make a crustier outside.
As always be your own Creative Dump Cook and change this recipe to what YOU have on hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment