Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Alexandra's Curry Butternut and Apple Soup


Curry Butternut Squash Apple Soup
This is a meal in itself
 

So the Dump cook is learning clues to good cooking from friends and daughters.  Cooking gets everyone excited to experiment and to try new things.  Here is a new vegetable that I just love which is recently new to my table. 
 I was never brought up eating Squash in any form.  What a shame, just a thing, as my mother never cared much for squash and I knowing their wonderful taste, I did not pass the dislike onto my children.  And now my kids on their own are discovering squash and helping me discover it in a new ways.  Thank you Alexandra for this one.

 My kids eat the bounty of the earth and squash of all kinds play a roll. Butternut Squash….my goodness what a great vegetable.  I started using it just recently.

This soup adds a sweet yet tart flavor that is amazing. I learned from Alexandra (daughter) about this recipe which I tweaked. But her Balsamic vinegar gives it a kick to outdo all.

This is really a simple and fabulous soup!  Please do try to make it as I know you won’t be disappointed!

1 Butternut Squash peeled and cut in chunks
1 small onion cut in 4th’s
2 green apples cored cut in 1/4th’s
2 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups chicken broth
1-2 tablespoons curry powder
 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
Salt to taste (remember chicken broth will have salty)
Take the squash cubes, onion, apple and garlic cloves  and toss with the olive oil and roast at 435 degrees  for about 30- 40 minutes. It will depend on the size of the chunks.

Put all the Vegetables and rest of ingredients into a blender.  Puree away.
 

TIPS:

·        I bought pre skinned and cut in chunks squash
·        I added red pepper flakes to Alexandra’s recipe
·        Vinegar:  what a treat in this soup and also as the Greeks do, in all bean soups…REMEMBER

As always be your own Creative Dump Cook and change this recipe to what YOU have on hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment