Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Butternut Squash Curry Soup


BUTTERNUT SQUASH CURRY SOUP
My dollop of sour cream sank a bit, but it is there!

Unfortunately, my husband developed an abscess in a tooth that he was scheduled to have root canal on next week rather suddenly, so I decided to make a soup that was healthy and hearty to have for him. Last week my daughter made something similar but had used cauliflower along with the squash and it peaked my interest to try something similar.
I LOVE the vinegar in this recipe!

2 lbs of cubed Butternut squash
1 small potato cubed
1 small onion diced
2 cloves garlic diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 tablespoon curry powder
 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
Dash of cinnamon

Salt pepper to taste

I tossed the squash and potato in  1 tablespoon olive oil and roasted at them at 450 for 40 minutes just to impart a nice nutty roasted flavor. 
 
Sautee in ½ teaspoon olive oil  (in a soup pot) the onion and garlic for about 3-4 minutes and then add the spices ( curry powder and Cinnamon) and sauté another 2 minutes. .  Add the roasted vegetables, broth, vinegar and salt and pepper   Simmer for 30 more minutes.
 
Let cool and then in batches puree in a blender.

 
 
TIPS:

·        You can drizzle of a bit of honey to substitute for the vinegar

·        Note if usingstore bought broth watch the salt you add, as most are very salty unless you buy salt free  or low sodium

·        Add a dollop of sour cream to top of soup if you like.

 

As always be your own Creative Dump Cook and change this recipe to what YOU have on hand!


1 comment:

  1. This looks so delicious-- I am inspired to try it myself. I hope your husband feels better soon! xo

    ReplyDelete