Saturday, December 15, 2012

SPINACH - LEEK PIE- GREEK STYLE


Spinach- Leek Pie
I was visiting a friend in NYC and she prepared a lovely Leek pie as an appetizer. As I am throwing a small holiday gathering, I decided to change up my normal Greek Spinach Pie and add allot of leeks rather than my normal small amount of onions as one of my appetizers
2 bags (9oz) spinach
2 large leeks chopped
¼ cup chopped fresh dill
1/8 cup chopped parsley
1 lb feta broken into pieces not crumbled to small
4 eggs
One package puff pastry
1 teaspoon olive oil
Salt and pepper

In the olive oil sauté on low heat (stirring constantly) the spinach and leeks until cooked thru (about 5 mins).  In a bowl combine the feta, dill and parsley. 


 

When the spinach and leeks are finish let them cool and then squeeze as much water as possible out.  Place in paper towels and squeeze again
 
 
Add to the bowl and mix well.  Beat 3 eggs and add to the bowl mixing well.
In a pyrex rectangle dish spray with PAM and spread one sheet of puff pastry.   Add mixture from bowl and spread evenly.  Top with the other sheet and seal all edges.  
 
 
 
 
 Beat the last egg and brush the top of the pastry to make a nice shine. Score the top pastry in any pattern you like (I prefer triangles).  Sprinkle with black seasame seeds.
TIPS:
·        I made the filling a day ahead of my party up to before placing eggs into the mix and refrigerate then assemble the following day.
·        Freezes well.
As always be your own Creative Dump Cook and change this recipe to what YOU have on hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment