Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Deconstructed Shrimp Saganaki on Pasta


Deconstructed Shrimp Saganaki on Pasta 

I just gave a holiday party and as usual I bought and made too much food.  There is something about having more than less being comforting, I guess.

I have lots of different items which I want to find different ideas/recipes to use them and not be repetitive.  First I want to use the cooked cocktail shrimp which I have about ¾ of a pound extra. I came up with this idea from a basic Greek recipe with a twist. (Shrimp Saganaki is a Greek baked dish made of Shrimp, Feta, Tomatoes and Ouzo.)

¾ pound cooked, shelled and deveined shrimp Tails off.
1 cup cubed feta cheese
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 small can of chopped tomatoes
½ pound pasta of choice
Salt and pepper to taste
 Remove tails from the shrimp and set aside.
Melt butter and add the flour. Whisk well until incorporated and then add slowly the milk. Constantly stir.

Add garlic, tomatoes and cheese and stir until all is incorporated. Simmer five minutes to thicken.  As the sauce simmers, cook the pasta to al dente stage. 
 
Just before the pasta is done add the shrimp to the sauce. Drain the pasta and toss with your sauce and serve.

TIPS:

1.      Add parsley and or red pepper flakes

2.      Add a splash of ouzo to sauce

As always be your own Creative Dump Cook and change this recipe to what YOU have on hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment