Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Almond Roasted Tomatoes


Almond Roasted Tomatoes

My daughter sent me a recipe that sounded so good, called Almond Roasted Heirloom Tomatoes. I had just bought what I thought were to be the first of the spring  ripe and juicy tomatoes which came 4 to a box and buy one get one free.  When I cut into them for a salad I realized I was fooled by their bright red color, as they were very hard and not very juicy.  So I turned Kassandra’s idea around a bit and made a delicious tomato bake which used regular almonds instead of almond meal (which I did not have)
It was a delightful eaten all alone but  it also could be used as a side dish.  The mixing in of almonds was just brilliant!

2 large Tomatoes, diced in chunks
1/4 cup chopped almonds
3 cloves of Garlic minced
1 tablespoon minced parsley or basil
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon minced hot pepper (jalapeno)
¼ cup torn pieces of bread (stale is prefect)
Cracked Black Pepper and salt to taste
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Chop and mince all and toss into a glass bowl or pan.  Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Toss a few times so the juices cover all and the top does not burn or brown too much.
TIPS:
·        Try many different herbs
·        Could top with mozzarella cheese
·        Great cooled topping a salad

·       

No comments:

Post a Comment